The Club Jameco Whiteboard is a collaborative discussion board where thinkers and makers meet to help each other with electronic projects. Get Ideas...Get Help...Get Connected.

Thread: Automated talk machine for ALS (Lou Gehrigs Disease) patients.

Exclamation Automated talk machine for ALS (Lou Gehrigs Disease) patients.

I am not an electronics designer but have a need for my cousin. I am looking for some collaboration from the techies that have open minds and great ideas on how this would work. Speech is one of the first communication that these patients lose.

Administrator
    How about a keyboard that translates to speaking tones? There are some already available if your cousin is able to type...

Yes there are many things available already that allow someone who can still type have a computer type for them, here are some examples
    http://www.etriloquist.com/alslinks.html

With the advent of Raspberry Pi and BeagleBone black, a small, battery powered, portable device seems like it could run some of these things normally designed for a PC

I've worked with the Propeller microcontroller by Parallax before and it has an opensource text-to-speech module that can be added to it...so you'd be able to create a keyboard where a person presses a picture for something they want and the microcontrolle could speak an entire sentence or paragraph....ie press the "glass of water button" and the device speaks "please bring me some water"

Recent innovations in popular science magazine might provide a workable solution
    Last edited by culater; 01-03-2017 at 04:27 PM.