The Club Jameco Whiteboard is a collaborative discussion board where thinkers and makers meet to help each other with electronic projects. Get Ideas...Get Help...Get Connected.

Thread: Favorite tool

Favorite tool

Well as it goes, I think my "favorite tool" over the past 40 years of electronics work has been an old WELLER soldering gun. Got it from my Dad, 40 years back.
    We used to build Radio Shack P-box kits when I was 10 years old with that thing.

Had not thought of it in years, but those were the days of endless bliss of solder fumes, germanium transistors and realizing solder is HOT the hard way.
    Wow.. Such a memory.. I still have that gun somewhere.. I'll have to look now you know..

Miss my dad, and all he did with us as I was growing up.
    He would haul home electronics junk from the mill trashcan so I could experiment.
    Luck the day as he would open a bag when he came home to reveal his latest trash-bin haul.
    Maybe some wire or an old corroded circuit board, but that treasure was like gold to a 10 year old.

Me and that old "Weller" would take out all the pieces, and try to make something useable- Most of what I "built" did nothing then, but now I see it did EVERYTHING just right...

Love you Dad.. Thanks for everything.. The Weller, putting up with my "inventions" that blew the house fuses, and of course your patients in all I did.
    Uhhh Sorry about the basement carpet and those Christmas lights.... Ya.. It WAS me....................

Lagbear....

Uhhh, maybe Greg should look at eBay for another backup unit.

Greg, I have to take my hat off to you. When I first got into electronic repair I acquired a hand me down Micronda analog Volt Ohm and that was 1973. After about 4 years or so, I blew it up so bad, I can still smell the smoke. Guess my boss/owner decided to trust me with a new one but it came with a caveat. if you blow it up, you repair or replace it. Maybe that's why I had it for such a long time. That tool was used every day on my bench. I almost named it we were so close. : ) One day after many years of repairs , my probe slipped and I got onto about six thousand volts; 5000 volts too much. I did get another new one but it just wasn't the same. I had an analog meter until I retired in 2007. It served me well to the end. RIP. Thanks for sharing your story Greg. Robt Eastman N1UUE 73's
    22-220 Realistic edited crop.jpg
    Last edited by RobtEast; 02-03-2015 at 10:03 PM.

Greg, I have a sharp scientific calculator from my junior year of vocational high school(1987) still in use today. As for tools I would have to say my bargain bin line man's pliers are my favorite.

Wow, thank you for that flash back. Very much reminds me of my first meter that I had to build from a kit my father bought for me. When I opened that box, I sat on the floor wide eyed and inside freaking out wondering what I got myself into.
    It was that first project that I had to build myself and calibrate that fanned that first candle light to a blazing flame. Thank you Dad, I miss you so much and thank you RobtEast for bringing those memories back.

This is a hard one to call. I would have to say my favorite tool would be my multi-meter. Without it, those initial projects I built would never have made sense. Being able to confirm calculations of voltage, resistance and amperage would have made no sense to me. Tracing voltages and watching the switching of transistors brought the whole projects into focus and enabled me to understand the grand scheme of how things worked.

My favorite tool is my Dremel. It cuts, drills, polishes ...

Hi guys, My favorite tool is MOZ .

Last edited by Daisy22; 12-15-2016 at 11:12 PM.

I have to agree LAGBEAR that
    Well as it goes, I think my "favorite tool" over the past 40 years of electronics work has been an old WELLER soldering gun.
    We used to build Radio Shack P-box kits when I was 10 years old with that thing.

Had not thought of it in years, but those were the days of endless bliss of solder fumes, germanium transistors and realizing solder is HOT the hard way.
    Wow.. Such a memory.. I still have that gun somewhere.. I'll have to look now you know..
    I get my from Grandfather. He gave it to me when I was 15 and he saw me doing my first Electronics Project for school. After this I spend every spare time creating new equipment using my WELLER soldering gun.
    Best tools ever

Seems to be very useful

read full article