The Club Jameco Whiteboard is a collaborative discussion board where thinkers and makers meet to help each other with electronic projects. Get Ideas...Get Help...Get Connected.

Thread: Variable voltage sources for breadboards

Variable voltage sources for breadboards

Not being very motivated to put out big bucks for a variable power supply I would rather throw together a pot and an op amp to make a variable voltage source for projects. Single turn trimpots are okay for voltage that don't require precision but 25 turn trimpots give better results for precise voltages. Rail-to-rail voltage sources? AD820 (single) and AD822 (dual) are op amps that are Rail-to-Rail output in a DIP package that works to + and - 15 Volts. If I need more than the 15 mA output capability I add boost transistors on the output but I lose the Rail-to-Rail capability. Jameco carries these chips but they are not in the catalog.
    AD820 and AD822 Rail-to-Rail input? The data sheet doesn't say so but I can get within 100 mV of the rails using these chips. $5 and $7 a piece is pricey but if you need RRIO for demonstrating this is op amp and voltage comparator exercises they work fine.

They are usually portable regulated DC sources used to supply a precise voltage to any circuit requiring it, without the need for a dedicated fixed-voltage power supply, usually for prototyping purposes in industry or for test purposes in laboratories. These are usually Assignment Help Service constructed so that the output voltage can be controlled by turning a potentiometer smoothly or a rotary switch in steps and the output can then be monitored by an integrated digital or analogue voltmeter, and optionally an ammeter for the current.